A friend of mine on a message board shared this quote last week:
"The secret to changing your life is in your intentions. Wishing, hoping and goal setting cannot accomplish change without intention. What is needed is a shift from the inert energy of wanting to the active energy of doing and intention."
—-Wayne Dyer
That totally hit home for me, as my hopes, dreams, and goals have been big and my intention has not moved from the dream into the action. I am not keeping up with my training schedule.... I'm running twice a week, three times if I'm lucky...totalling 9 - 10 miles on a good week. And, my friends, that is not going to get me to the 25K finish line. I can give all sorts of excuses... hurt foot, busy schedule, full time employment, family obligations, loss of my father-in-law.... you can see the list is lengthy. But, truth is - I just haven't moved it from dream to active energy of DOING!
So, with that being said, I am not going to beat myself up nor am I going to give up completely. What I am going to do is change the goal to one that I can achieve in the time I have left before May 8 - and adjust my bigger goal from there. I decided I will shift my 25K to the 10K, which is 6.2 miles. While that sounds so much shorter, and it is, I know it's still more than I am doing at this moment. This allows me to achieve a short term goal - and then I am setting my sights on a 1/2 marathon in the fall. There are several to choose from... Park 2 Park in Holland, Chicago 1/2, I've heard Lansing has a nice 1/2, Detroit has one and Grand Rapids has one! LOTS of options!
So, I will say, I feel like I failed. I set my sights on the 25K. I wanted that. I told so many people - my facebook world, my Weight Watchers world, and this blog world - and I am no longer going for that. I thought telling all of you would MAKE me do it, MAKE me be accountable. I still didn't create the time to do the training I needed. That makes me sad and a little frustrated, as this is my normal mode of operation and I was hoping to go beyond that.
However, I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I've learned that I CAN run, push myself harder than I thought, and I may just be able to teach an "old dog" new tricks after all! Physically, I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I feel good. Less tired and run down, as long as I'm not eating pure junk. :-) And, I know doing the 10K this year doesn't mean I can't do the 25K next year and the next and the next!
So, while I do believe the only thing constant is change, I'm going to go with the flow and keep on keepin' on. Forty is the new 30, right? :-) I still have plenty of time to conquer the world, one day at a time.... :-)
Hugs, all!
Happy Monday!
Angie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Angie Girl!
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely been awhile!!! But I'm so happy to see you post again...I love reading your updates.
Here's one more quote for you:
"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." - Charles Swindoll
We cannot control the external circumstances such as injury, the loss of a loved one, and the day-to-day stresses, HOWEVER we can CHOOSE our attitude and how we respond to a given situation. Every day there is a life lesson that can teach us something - some are eye-opening and exciting, and some are just downright painful. No matter what--we just need to keep trying and keep going - one step at a time.
P.S. Check out my new blog!!!!! It's been awhile in the making...but here's the link.
I hope you enjoy it!
www.kimmiefittgirl.blogspot.com
There'll be quite a few posts tonight to enlighten you to what's been happening...all in a good way!!!
Hugs!!!
Kim
Angie,
ReplyDeleteYou are a very postivie person and I would hate to think that you feel you failed...you have done more that most people I know...here is the thing..you haven't failed...you are still going to do something...it might not have been the goal you were looking to go towards but you are still working on doing better and getting there...
I say...kudos to you...you are AWESOME