Monday, April 26, 2010

6 miles!

Hey, all!

I almost decided not to run yesterday. It was raining. It was a good nap day. I don't feel like it. I ate too much lunch. Blah, blah, blah.

Then, I said to myself, "Angie, You HAVE to!" The race is two weeks away!

So, I laced up the tennies, hopped on the treadmill, cranked up my Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and got to it!

I did something different and covered up the treadmill information. I couldn't see the time, mileage, calorie burn, any of that good stuff. I decided to play a game and I said I would run and run and run until I thought I would drop. All I knew is that I was running approx 5.3 miles per hour... 11:19 pace?

So, I ran. Two songs. Then four songs. I thought, well, that might be about a mile. Ran a couple more. Starting to get a little tired here. A couple more songs! WOW! I'm sure I've done a 5K by now! I'm wiped out! This covering up the information is SO fun! I'm covering a lot more mileage than I do when I can see that stuff!

Well, finally, I was feeling pretty tired and I decided to walk for a minute...and then curiousity got the best of me. I pulled off the towel, covering my display, and revealed the info. WHAT? Can that be RIGHT? I only went 1.96 miles! HA! I honestly laughed at myself. What a goober!

So, after a small pity party where I berated myself for not training as I should have, for not being prepared, for not feeling physically ready for this challenge on May 8, I then decided to just make magic happen. I was NOT getting off that treadmill until I finished 6 miles! If I had to walk over half of it... I was still going to see it thru!

And, for those of you on Facebook, you already know I did it. Yeah. It took me 70:39 to run 6 miles. But, I know I couldn't have done that several months ago! And, now I know I can do it again on May 8! My legs were tired and I have taken a couple of Ibuprofen, but I did it! :-) That part feels good!

Something I am challenging myself on is not comparing myself to others. Are other people running longer distances than I am? You betcha! Are they running the same distance a lot faster than I am? You betcha! Are they younger, older, shorter, taller, thinner, fatter than I am? You betcha! So what? I can only compare myself to me... and I am proud of me for accomplishing that 6 miles when my mind wanted to stop, drop, and roll right out of there... :-)

So, that's my Monday morning rant and rave, I guess. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for three miles...Thursday, 3 more. Friday is a cross train day and Saturday is 5 miles. :-) Check in with me! See how I'm doing! :-)

Hugs to all! Make it a great day!

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment