Monday, May 3, 2010

Less than a week!

Wow!

I'm starting to get nervous about a silly 10K.

I had a dream last week that I didn't follow the signage and I ended up on the 25K route instead of the 10K - and I couldn't figure out how to fix it! I've felt uneasy ever since!

Then a woman at work told me about a friend of hers who is common sense challenged - and she ended up lining up with the 25K group instead of the 10K group...and ran the whole thing! She knew it was taking a lot longer than it should, but she didn't realize that it was because she was running 3 times the distance! Trust me when I say, there is NO way that will happen! My body KNOWS when it hits a mile marker it likes... and it would not like 15 miles yet!

So, that brings me to this weekend's run. I did 5 miles yesterday and it took me until mile 4 to really get a groove on. I just couldn't seem to get the mind and body in sync until then! But, I did the 5 and felt good after... I'll be running 3 tomorrow and 3 Thursday - then Saturday is the big day! :-)

I am not planning to break any records or to win an age division or any of that good stuff. I am feeling a little like John "the Penguin" Bingham. He's famous for the quote, "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." I feel that way!

I was getting down on myself yesterday- and my friend Susan reminded me that this is a GOOD thing. I am showing up! I didn't pay for the race and not show up to the starting line. I'm not going to be at home, sitting on my couch, eating donuts from Zeeland Bakery and watching cartoons. I'm going to be running a 10K! :-) That's an accomplishment, no matter how much I try to diminish it. :-)

So glad I have friends to keep me in line when I need it.

Hugs to all who stop by! Stay tuned for last minute pre-race updates! :-)

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment