Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I DID IT!

Well, technically, I did it three days ago... but life's been busy! :-)

Saturday was race day - and for any of you also on Facebook, you know I completed my 10K under the time I had set for myself. I anticipated 75 minutes to finish... and I came in 1:11:12 for my official time. I was quite pleased! Of course, never one to rest on my laurels for too long, I am already working on what I want to do next....

But, before I say anything more about that, I will let you know that the race itself was a lot of fun. I told Drew as we got ready that morning, I must finally be a "real" runner, because back in the day, I never would have run in nasty weather like that. It just wasn't nice out (mid 40s, overcast, a little misty) but the race was still a good time. People watching was awesome, as it was a runners' fashion show! The volunteers and spectators were great, and I thanked them when I could. (ever the grateful one, don't you know!) A high school jazz band even played for us around mile 4. :-) They were better for the 25K runners later in the morning, but at least they used as as their warm up crowd.

I felt good during the race. I just went with a pace that felt good and between mile 2 and 3, that was a 10 minute mile! I don't ever run 10 minute miles, so that was cool! There were a couple of hills and turns near the end that I walked, but I ran as much as I could... and made it to the end on two legs and not crawling on all fours. Good enough for me! :-)

Now, I'm thinking my next goal is going to be to increase my speed so that I can run with my hubby instead of so far behind him. He ran in 57 minutes. I was 71 minutes, so I'll need to increase more than a little to catch up with him. Once I do, my next goal will be to continue to increase my speed so Drew can eat my dust! :-) I love goal setting! :-)

On a serious note, I was thinking of a 1/2 marathon for the fall... and I just don't know that I want to do that. I find running to be tough on my body and the training time needed for a 1/2 or full marathon is insane. I'm thinking of sticking to shorter distances (5 and 10K) and just working on my speed. That will also allow me to focus on some strength training too. I'd like to tone and tighten some spots that running just isn't touching. :-) I also want to exercise for the sake of exercising. Maybe take a Zumba class at the local rec center, roller blade with Makenna, go for long bike rides with the family, etc.

I'm still in pursuit of my quest for health and fitness, but working toward finding that healthy balance.

Thanks for hanging out with me as I "race" toward 40. I still plan to post as I can, so you can check back and see what's up from time to time, if you choose.

Life's a journey....not a destination! The journey continues!

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment